Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Block Printing with Foam #3

Auditioning Color Overlays

If this is the first time you are visiting my blog about Block Printing with Foam, you can find the beginning stages of step #1 HERE and step #2 HERE.

Today I am going to take you through the process of auditioning colors that I might use as washes over the initial printing.  I first printed 4 blocks that would be used solely to determine colors for the 40" x 40" piece that I am creating.

In each instance Setacolor transparent fabric paints were used to make washes with a paint-to-water ratio of 1:1. On all but one of the blocks I first laid down a wash of Lemon Yellow.  No picture is shown for that. 
Option #1
Lemon Yellow with a Swath of Cobalt Blue
Option #2
Lemon Yellow with 3 Drops of Bright Orange and Cobalt Blue around Circles
Option #3
Yellow with Light Wash of Cobalt Blue and Denser Diagonal Swath of Blue
Option #4
Cobalt Blue Wash--No Underlay of Yellow
Ultimately, I chose to work with a combination of the colors in Option #1 and Option #3.  When I am able to show the finished work in the future, it will become evident why I chose those colors to augment expression of the theme.

Darn it.  I wish I could tell you what the theme is so that you might better understand what influenced my choices. Ah, such a mystery.  I assure you that the final work will be shown in the future.  For those of you who follow along, you will know exactly how it came to be.

Note:  These posts are my participation in the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge.  If you, too, would like to participate, link to Cheryl Sleboda's:  http://muppin.com/…/inde…/the-31-day-blog-writing-challenge/
Until tomorrow...
Always remember, never fear to experiment.  
Sometimes wonderful things happen.
© Linda Friedman 2015.  All rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. I like the options you choose for your 40" x 40" artwork. You have me on pins and needles until the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be posting again tonight, Mia. Glad you like my choices of colors to use.

      Delete